Wednesday, August 27, 2008

THE PANTSUIT STRIKES BACK


There are just some lines that are so brilliant, so obvious, so completely on the nose that a writer can spend the better part of a day trying to figure how she didn't think to write it first.  This she has done just that.  
How could I not have thought to marry two popical (that's topical and popular culture, better late than never) references?  It's like that category on Jeopardy:

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants + Pantsuit = Genius.
  
I'm Greek.  I had a Yia Yia.  How did I miss it?  I hate myself.

Make no mistake: I've never had a single ounce of affection for Hillary Clinton.  Not one cc.  But during the non-stop pantsuit comedy roast primary season, I jumped to HRC's fashion defense(see this blog, July 6th, until I can figure out how to link), not because I liked her, but because:

1. I like pantsuits a lot
2. Yves Saint Laurent had just gone to the big garment district in the sky
3. It was the feminist thing to do

But with that one line- HOW DID I NOT THINK OF IT?- justice was served.

Today, August 27, 2008 marks the day I became a fan of Hillary.  Or at least her speech writer.  

No comments: