Sunday, October 26, 2008

to chillax or not to chillax


To chillax or not to chillax
Who the hell came up with this word?
 
This is age of language amalgams.
Languamalgams.
Brangie Frenemy TomKat Staycation Edutainment Recessionista.

I feel like the poor hipster's William Sapphire here, but someone has to do it.

Chillaxing, for those who don't know or couldn't figure it out, is the clever combination of the words, chilling and relaxing.  As in, "We rolled a splif and are now chillaxing."  It can also be a directive, as in, "Chillax!  You're making me nervous."

My thorough 10 second google research reveals the first usage was in 2003, in the film, "Final Destination 2".  According to the three people I polled (including myself), one person claims to have heard it first in Maine, another in the Georgia, and the third discovered it in the vast virtual chasm known as Facebook.

My next etymological quest: HOT MESS.

Stay tuned.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello miss u, been a longtime!

a friend of mine started a blog awhile ago along these very lines. i have contributed once, perhaps you should too:
http://wordswemadeup.blogspot.com

anyhoo. hope you're well, i am enjoying please judge me.

-Sam