Thursday, July 17, 2008


I found out recently that I'm actually a man.  Not only that, I was once a boy too.  According to the Social Security Administration I have been an red blooded American male since 1985.  Before that I guess, the government didn't consider me period.

These days a kid is tagged immediately- that is to say, given a social security number right at birth- but back in the freewheeling 1970's in Maine, there wasn't a rush.  Parents were too busy composting, starting food coops, and reading Thoreau.  You got a card when you needed one.  I mean, for now, let's just weed the garden, shuck some corn,  and can preserves. 

For me, the necessity came when I spent my first seven minutes of fame in a Stephen King movie and thusly began my life as a taxpayer.

Social Security hasn't been easy to convince, by the way, that I'm a Ms.  A phone call, with my most sultry female voice didn't do it.  The operator laughed actually.  On the first trip to the main office in Brooklyn, where a young lady(ostensibly) ahead of me had a scalpel confiscated, I also failed.  Despite my utterly convincing breasts practically falling out of my most feminine summer dress, I didn't have proper documentation.  And though hoisting my tits onto the counter and pressing them against the bullet proof glass made the agent laugh, she won the Mark Twain Award:

"Honey, this is New York.  I've seen some really good work."

I'll be honest, in that moment, facing an in-person rejection of my sex, I started to panic slightly.  My mom is fairly famous for leaving out big details.  For instance, "Oh pumpkin, I'm sure I told you I was married before your father!"  I was too busy hyperventilating then to answer or to laugh now.

Could she have overlooked telling me?  Was there an accident during the circumcision?  Had I been born a true blue tranny and my parents had to make a sexual Sophie's choice?  My dad is Greek, was I the real life version of, MIDDLESEX?  My mom always had said she really wanted a girl first.  Had she been trying, albeit WASPily, to tell me something?  Omigod.  This explains everything about me.  No wonder I only have gay male friends.  I am a gay male.  No wonder I like wigs and to show my boobs in public.  I am a tranny. 

So instead of trusting my mother's insistence of my gender as female, I contacted the state of Maine directly for my birth certificate.  The good friendly folks at bureau of vital records thought my story was totally shelarious.  Who knew bureaucracy had such a sense of humor?

Social Security has since accepted the document as genuine (and my vagina valid), but my sex is still pending with the state of New York.  Stay tuned.
 

No comments: